Monday, March 29, 2010

Fun in Colorado


We all had such a great time in Colorado over spring break!! To see the mountians again was so breath taking, Steve said it was such a shame to have taken them for granted when he got to see them everyday. I am so thankful that we got to expirence them with the girls. Syd said she knows she will be mad when she gets her pictures back because they just won't look the same and she dosen't want to forget how they look.
We saw lots of antelope and deer on the way which was really cool. I couldn't believe how many antelope we saw here in one area. Never seen antelope before!!We had great weather. I actually got a little sunburn one day, but also saw lots of snowy mountians and lots of pines which I love. We went to Cave of the Winds one day which was cool but I was a little nervous I might freak out inside being in such a closed in area but I was good!We headed to the Seven Falls next and thought that was awesome. Korin really wanted to walk all the way up to the top so we gave it a try but we were all huffing and puffing half way up so we stopped! It's a good test to see how good of shape your in.

Driving to our hotel Steve was like "No Way"! We hit the breaks, turned around and there was a guy selling pinon nuts. He was really excited and I found out the embarressing way that they have a shell that you need to crack open for the nut! I thought they were really good with the shell on!

We got to our hotel and smelled something wonderful outside so we sniffed our way to this awesome family owned italian resturaunt! We all pigged out, we did that alot!

We also pigged out at this other resturaunt called "La Placita". Not sure if anyone knows about that one! It was very good and brought back lots of fun memories for Steve.



We drove around Brighton MANY times and heard LOTS of stories!! I wish I could have been tape recording all Steve's memories. It was really nice for the girls to hear him(most of his stories anyway, some were a bit questionable!) and see all about his childhood.


It was really cool to see his house and for him to remember so many things. We know his route to school, where he did things he shouldn't have been doing, where he played football, his route during open lunch hour, where he and spencer beat up other boys, where he had his first accident, how big the tree behind the house got, and lots of cool stuff! It was a really nice time

We also went to the Royal Gorge which we all loved, us girls more than Steve, but it was beautiful and scary at the same time.To look over the bridge gave us chills, it is so far down! I didn't look down much. And the shaking of the bridge as cars drove by I could have done without! But what a site just looking straight out.

The girls wanted to try this over the gorge!! Just watching the people in front of us do it made me about cry because it was so scary! I think someday they would love to go back and do it but it will probably be when they are 18 and I can't talk them out of it.

CASA BONITA!! What in expirence. The girls just couldn't figure out what in the world this place was going to be like, but you just have to see it to know.

























The Sopapillas(sp) were something that we have got to figure out how to make! yum, yum. We will sure miss them too.

Steve took us to Boulder Canyon and we were able to stop along the way and climb down to the river and just being that close to the mountians was so awesome. We said that was maybe our favorite but we keep changing our minds on that! It was absolutely beautiful and peaceful. The water was so cold but we picked out a few rocks to take home.


We also had really cool, relaxing rooms! We got adjouning suites and I could still smell the "new" smell of the hotel. Each night there was hardly anyone else in the hotel so we got the pool and hot tub mostly to ourselves. It would look better if i would have taken the pictures before we slept!

We sadly had to leave to go back to the exciting state of Kansas and of course there was a snow storm all the way back!

It was a great trip that I hope we can do again before another 3 years passes by!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh my, how I loved all of your pictures and commentary. Awesome. I am so jealous. It was fun talking to you, too when you were there, so I could live through your experiences. WE have to take a whole family trip there, sometime, soon!

Kathy Koch said...

What a fantastic blog. I really enjoyed all the pictures and the memories just came flooding back.I am so jealous and would love to go back myself. Seeing that picture of the smothered burrito at La Placita just made my mouth water. thanks so much for letting us reminisce and enjoy seeing so many things we took for granted when we lived there...

Samantha Hussong said...

Oh the memories and I didn't live there. Thank you Kathy and Steve for letting me come and stay with you during the summer to experience it. Casa Banitas is probably my favorite place to eat there that I remember. I also remember going up into the mountains to go sking and Grandma not liking the drive there. This makes me want to go on vacation to Colorado.